Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reality Check

Since the weather is currently unusually mild for February in New England (39 F and 20-30 mph winds), I decided to go for a ride today. This ride served three critical purposes:

1. I needed to do something besides sit in my hotel room all weekend
2. As I've been tossing around the idea of cycle-commuting to work when possible, I wanted to scout out a route that avoids freeways 
3. The great Australian cycle tour starts in 2 weeks and I haven't been on a bike in almost two months - yikes

I headed out into a brisk headwind, consulting the Iphone regularly as every New Hampshire back road looks exactly the same and they all seem to meander along in no particular direction. After 80 minutes I arrived at New Boston Air Force Station, where I am currently spending a quite a bit of time working.  


Since this took longer than expected, I am doubting that it is realistic for a daily commute. Time to turn around and see how long it takes with the winds in a more favorable direction. After approximately 40 minutes, I am at a spot where I wanted to scout out a railroad bridge that if passable, would remove about 2.5 miles from the route. Success! The bridge is passable and there are no signs prohibiting transit. 


The total return trip utilizing the shortcut took under 55 minutes, which is much more realistic for a daily commute. If the weather is good this week I will have to give it a shot. I arrive back at my hotel feeling much more worn out than a 45 km ride should leave me feeling. Crap. I am going to need to do some serious spinning over the next couple of weeks or the 700 miles of Australian backcountry in 7 days is going to be absolutely brutal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment