Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pikes Peak or Bust!

Saturday 10/1/11: 


0430 hrs: Alarm goes off - "Why am I waking up this early on the weekend?"
0530 hrs: Front tire hits the trail (switchbacks), pain ensues - "Uhh, Is this a good idea?"
0600 hrs: Grinding uphill in the dark - "What in the hell am I doing?"
0640 hrs: Sunrise over Colorado Springs - Stunning! 
0700 hrs: Grade eases up, I realize I have a seat on my bike - "Killer" 
0730 hrs: Trail gets rockier and steeper, I'm walking more than riding 
1030 hrs: Summit - 5 hrs and 7500 vertical feet later I am there; coffee and donuts hit the spot 

Obligatory picture proof: 



I have heard people say that only idiots do this ride since there is obviously a lot of time off the bike involved towards the top, but I had a killer time, and the trail traffic didn't result in any conflict or negative experiences whatsoever. 

I was expecting a painful descent on the fully rigid frame, but this ride made me fall in love with the wagon wheels all over again. This was one of the most fun descents I have ever had (and yes I've done resort riding with real suspension). 

Stopped at the camp on the way down to chat with a great couple who gave me exact trail directions. Then hit up the experimental forest route on the way back (longhorn ranch road to ute somethin or other?). This enabled me to skip the hordes of people who like stairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment